TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Working on a FAQ for this, but I'll explain a bit here
People Seeking Info

Subject Working on a FAQ for this, but I'll explain a bit here

Posted by LitlElvis on May 04, 2014 at 8:53 PM
  This message has been viewed 664 times.

In Reply To PSA: BDE Cam Gear Installation posted by vorpalZ on May 04, 2014 at 09:28 AM

Message Short story: Nissan's VTC supplier didn't put the dimples in the same place on the cogs. The picture below shows six random cogs and none of them have the dimple on the same tooth relative to the adjustment slots.

When I added the 3rd element timing indicator I had to standardize the indicator mark to be on the same tooth on every cog and it just made sense to also use this as the timing belt alignment mark also - just like the exhausts are done.

Leaving the OE dimple in the cog is not the optimum situation but other than welding and machining it flush (aka: a lot of extra work), I haven't had a good idea on how to make it disappear.

For the time being, I hoped the included instructions with "ignore the factory divot" high-lighted in yellow would do the trick but I'm seeing that it doesn't. Your idea of a sticker that has to be removed before installation would be a good addition to draw attention to the issue. Ultimately I need to do a better job of explaining to my distributors about little quirks like this.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.